Wednesday, August 17, 2011

This is how to get me in the theater...

I don't normally post trailers for upcoming movies, particularly since most trailers are crap these days, but I'm making an exception for this trailer for the upcoming The Woman in Black. This is how you do it:




Here's what I'm taking away from this trailer:

First, this is creepy as hell. It takes every creepy image one associates with desolate Gothic ghost stories and dumps it into a richly textured visual pageant.

Second, the makers of the trailer have come up with a rhyme that gives this a kind of fairytale ambiance. By blotting out the diegetic sound from the footage from the film, this amplifies the creepiness of the images.

Third, this doesn't give away the store. What do I take from this regarding the story? That it's a ghost story. The trailer keeps the movie's secrets.

Fourth, Daniel Radcliffe has turned into an absolutely adorable young man, and boy, howdy, does the period costume amplify this. Yum.

Fifth, I'm going to see this in the theater whenever it comes out. This is the aim of a good trailer, and this one succeeds.

I should mention that this is a Hammer movie, the first since their rebirth to go full-on Gothic. That by itself is cause for rejoicing. I'm there.

3 comments:

Lauren Hairston said...

Oh my God, it's so creepy! The cinematography looks gorgeous, though.

Michele (TheGirlWhoLovesHorror) said...

I'm with you, this does look creepy as hell! Definitely enough to get me into the theater. Those toys! I've always loved how horror films can make child's toys absolutely terrifying... and children themselves. I wonder what's up with those three girls in the trailer.

Vulnavia Morbius said...

Hi, Michele! Yes! The toys! Those are some creepy damned toys!

Hi, Lauren! It does look gorgeous. I love the costumes. Radcliffe looks particularly dashing in his period waistcoat.