Saturday, September 03, 2011

Learning Experiences

Well, my fundraiser ended yesterday. The good news? I raised $105. That's fabulous given the circumstances. The bad news? It's not enough by a long shot. So I'm calling it. No Fantastic Fest for Krell Labs this year. I've learned a few things from the experience, though.

First and foremost: timing is everything. The next time I run a fundraiser, I need to plan it for a time period when I don't have multiple deadlines looming for various freelance jobs. I should also avoid scheduling it for periods when I'm sick, but there's no avoiding that. I haven't been able to promote it the way I would have liked. But there's no guarantee that I would have promoted it anyway because...

Second: fund raising is not for the shy. I'm a lousy self-promoter because, well, I'm pretty shy. I don't want to be intrusive. I don't really want to bother people, and, frankly, that's poison for this kind of enterprise. I needed to be hitting this a couple of times a day every day.

Third: I need to use social media better. At least one of my real world friends told me last night that he had no idea that I was running a fundraiser, even though he'd seen me posting the sketch cards as I finished them on my Facebook account. On the other hand, Facebook doesn't allow me to post 70 point headlines, so be that as it may...

So here's what's going to happen. The folks who donated below the threshold to get a sketch or DVD-R are going to get a refund. I don't feel comfortable taking it if I'm not using it. Everyone else will get their sketch 0r DVD as promised.

The long term fallout of this project is a little bit less grim. First, I've actually managed to sell art over the internet. This is something I've never done before, and it suggests to me that I might be able to make a business of it. I'll probably be opening an Etsy shop in the very near future. More than that, though, people have wanted my art. As someone who has suffered from crippling self-doubt about my art, this is enormously gratifying. Thank you to everyone who asked for a sketch. It means so much.

With all that out of the way, the next installment of Bad Netflix is coming up in a couple of weeks. If you want to join in the fun, it'll take place on September 17. Guts and Grog Reviews has the details. I'll also be participating in the Juxtaposition Blogathon being run by Pussy Goes Grrr, and the Fashion in Film Blogathon being run by Hollywood Revue.

5 comments:

Laura said...

Aw, nurtz. Is this an annual event, could you go again next year? Because considering how delightful your Christopher Lee turned out, you shouldn't have any problem pushing your artistic wiles for a little more do-re-me next time around.

Vulnavia Morbius said...

Hi, Laura. Fantastic Fest is an annual event. I'm going to try going next year, depending on whether or not we're going to Dragon*Con. If that happens, all bets are off. I'd like to hit at least two big film festivals next year. Fantastic Fest is a candidate. I'd LOVE to go to Toronto, though I think I'd feel overwhelmed by it. Maybe Frameline. But this all takes money and I need to plan for it.

DeAnna said...

So sad that Fantastic Fest isn't happening for you. I had to call my annual film fest short this year due to illness. Even had at least 3 unused tickets to films when I was in the hospital so I completely sympathize with both the time crunch and illness issues. I'm back in inpatient treatments this weekend hoping it will bring my energy level back up for the upcoming work week. And Nate is busily cleaning/organizing the condo as I convalesce.

I'm considering trying the Vancouver Film Fest, maybe next year. It is very similar to Seattle as it runs over several weeks, but appears to have a greater selection of Asian films and more films that don't already have distribution and maybe aren't opening wide the following week. And the festival is near the YWCA for those of us who need a kitchen (celiac makes it hard to eat out) and is inexpensive. Plus I discovered that David Bordwell attends most years because of the selection of HK cinema, so it must be a pretty good festival. No one of note attends the Seattle International Film Fest.

And I thought you were doing pretty well publicizing the fund raising. I'm terrible at self-promotion which is why it took me an eternity to find another job. Get well, okay?

Mykal Banta said...

Vulnavia: Please pocket my meager offering as a donation to your ongoing blog.

Vulnavia Morbius said...

Hi, Mykal. If you insist. ;)